Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Shaun of the Dead (2004) dir Edgar Wright

Well, RIP October 2011. We hardly knew ye. November Coming Fire now. I turn 28 next week. That's fucked up. Get off my lawn, you little shits. Here's one last review I wrote the other day:

Wacky Brits and their backwards date formats!
 This flick is a delightful blast of comedy/horror/drama. I figured I'd throw up another softball to help the lady get down with the horror films. Fun fact: the first time we tried to watch it shorty after we started dating, she only made it about 15 minutes into it! She's come so far! I'm so proud!

Now, I've seen this flick many, many times, but it had been a couple years. It's remarkable how the trio of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost hit the ground running so hard with their first proper feature (which is more or less a continuation of the tone from their hilarious TV show Spaced, but within the context of a zombie disaster) and they haven't stopped running since. Just nothing but quality from this crew of Brits.

Anyways, one thing I love about Shaun Of The Dead is amidst all the humor and zombie carnage are a handful of emotional moments that hit unbelievably hard. They're so pitch-perfect that they just kind of blindside you and put a lump in your throat. I have no idea how they were able to pull this off....maybe it's just because I identify so easily with Pegg and Frost's characters. But, it's remarkable that they were able to switch from being funny to "Oh shit, my step-dad is dying right in front of me and he's trying to tell me he's sorry that he wasn't nicer to me when I was younger and that he loves me." That's some heavy shit, man. And Pegg plays these scenes with zero irony and just pure heart. These sorts of scenes don't usally work so well in horror comedies, but helps make Shaun Of The Dead a true one of a kind flick and one that I think will hold up very well in the decades to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment